Thursday, June 4, 2009

Video Bonanza

Now, I am going to dive back into my Google Reader and comment on the videos that I watch for the next little bit. Boring? Maybe. But, there might be a hidden gem in all of these video game previews, TV commercials, viral videos and, as always, film trailers.

1. "Star Wars: The Old Republic" trailer.

This is a trailer for the latest "Star Wars" game. I don't know much about it beforehand, so let's check it out.


So, this is apparently the "Star Wars" massive multiplayer game we've heard rumors about and, I must say, it looks incredible! This looks like a lot of fun and an awesome backdrop for a ton of attacking and strategy, teaming up with other people. It also looks like a game that some 10 year old is going to kick my ass in if I ever play it.

2. "The Final Destination" trailer

We have had FOUR "Final Destination" flicks. The last one was in 3D and included a DVD where you could choose your own ending! Let's see if this one can stand without gimmicks.

The Final Destination trailer in HD


OK, so I thought that the last one was in 3D, but apparently I was wrong. Anyway, anything with death by NASCAR earns a video rental from me.

3. Fox Fall Series Trailers

"The Human Target"- Looks pretty entertaining. One of the series I'm excited about next year.


"Past Life"- Looks pretty dumb. While the concept has originality, it's unnecessry. It doesn't add anything to solving crimes. A show has to look pretty dumb for it to be a procedural and NOT have me hook line and sinker.


"Sons of Tuscon"- This looks damned hilarious, although that it's sad that "Reaper" had to go to get Tyler Labine to star in this bad boy. Fox is batting 2 for 3 right now.


"The Cleveland Show"- "Family Guy" spinoff FTW. Looks hilarious like everything Seth MacFarlane poops out.


"Brothers"- Sitcoms are hard to predict, but I might try to give this a shot. I like everyone in it and watching it unfold and mix heart and laughs could be fun...or cheesy and poorly done.


4. "New Moon" trailer

I never saw/read "Twilight" so, we'll see.



Actually looks interesting. I doubt I'll try to bat away the hoards of screaming teenagers to see it in the theatre, but it definitely makes me more excited for the phenomenon.

5. "Yo Teach!"

This is a viral video for Judd Apatow's new flick, "Funny People."



This is a pitch perfect parody. I was already looking forward to the movie, but if this type of "Tropic Thunder" viral ad campaign is what we're going to see, color me excited.

6. "Mr. Nobody" trailer

I have no idea.

Mr. Nobody trailer


I still have no idea.

7. "Star Trek" "Sabotaage" clip

So, according to the fine folks over at /Film this all plays into the song "Sabotage" being played in JJ Abrams "Star Trek" flick, which is a must-see for EVERYONE, I swear.



So, Shatner can't say the word and I guess the tape of him screwing it up, along with Orson Welles not being able to talk about peas, made the rounds over the years. Hilarious.

8. "Need for Speed: Shift" trailer

The "Need for Speed" franchise returns to form, after "Underground" and "Burnout".



Even though I've liked a lot of the later "Need for Speed" games that left the track, I'm happy to return and get to racing.

9. "DJ Hero" Demo

So, "DJ Hero" is the new creation from the people behind "Guitar Hero" where you control a turntable and all of its intricacies. I'm skeptical.



So, it looks to be a lot of fun...if you're good at it. I feel like the learning curve would have to be HUGE for that to happen. I could, and probably am, wrong, of course.

10. "Saw" Demo

So, this is a video game based on the "Saw" films. I wonder if it a) can avoid the stupidity of the last 20 installments of the franchise b) return to the creepiness of the first flick and c) distinguish itself from being more than a glorified "escape the room" game.



This could actually be fun. It definitely has a "Bioshock" feel of being open-world but linear at the same time. Might be a rental shot.

11. "Shadow Complex" trailer

"Shadow Complex" is a combination FPS/Sidescroller that will be on XBOX Live Arcade, which is where games for the 360 are downloaded directly to the system.



This game looks like a lot of fun, but maybe a little thin on story (which some, maybe most, would enjoy). Would depend on price for me.

12. "Modern Warfare 2" demo

No idea. Let's check it out.



I'm not a war games kind of guy. But this looks like a lot of fun, if not really challenging. I definitely might rent this and give it a go.

13. Pan-Man Cereal Ad

Guess if you can pick out the foul-mouthed action star in this ad.



That's right, it's everyone's favorite, Christian Bale! I swear.

14. "Blur" trailer

Apparently, this is a racing game where you get to shock people. Sounds like fun to me.



15. Whack-a-Kitty

What can I say, simply adorable!



16. NPH Doing Letterman's Top 10

Neil Patrick Harris (NPH) is hosting the Tony's, so he's going to be on Letterman tonight doing the Top 10 list. He's always funny, so let's see.



Yep. Funny.

17. Meet the Cast of "Glee"

This is an exclusive from my good friend Kath over at www.givememyremote.com featuring my new favorite show of the season, "Glee" and it's wonderful cast.

Meet the Cast of GLEE from Give Me My Remote on Vimeo.



"Glee" is amazing, plain and simple. I hope that we can keep the awesome momentum from the pilot premiere a couple of weeks ago into the fall, when it will debut.

18. "The Answer Man" trailer

Jeff Daniels plays a man who once talked to God. So, then he secluded himself. Lauren Graham plays...Lauren Graham.



Looks like a lot of fun, actually with a hell of a supporting cast.

19. Wearable Towel commercial

Wow. All I can say.



Well, that's where I bid you all adieu...for now. DUN DUN DUNNNN!




www.twitter.com/philwrighthouse
philwrighthouse.blogspot.com
philattheolympics.blogspot.com (I don't update it anymore, but it's awesome just the same)
http://philwrighthouse.blogspot.com
www.givememyremote.com (search for "Philboy" to see all of my posts.)

1 comment:

christi wolf said...

phil, i'm at "work" right now and i want so badly to watch all of these vids but am afraid to get caught watching them instead of listening to the news scanners like i'm supposed to. : P

anywho, even though i don't miss fast track all that much, i miss the general witty-ness that would go down in the production meetings! sadness

- christi